Friday, April 13, 2012

Drugs Are "Good"

Ask anyone about the topic of drugs-prescription or not-and they will most likely tell you their opinion.  Some people take over the counter medicine daily, whereas others never rely on a single dosage to aid their pain.  When it comes to illegal drugs, there are people who have never and will never try them, people who only experiment or do drugs during "special occasions," and those who are practically (or completely) in love with them and do them all of the time or whenever they feel necessary.

On one side of the argument, I feel drugs of all kinds are good.  Who enjoys pain?  Aside from a few masochists, not very many of us do.  So, if I am suffering from a headache or stomachache, I will take the recommended dosage of ibuprofen or Tums and get on with my day.

Personally, I do not feel that anyone should not take medicine just because they feel taking pills is wrong or unnatural.  Certain situations, such as after a surgery or during a horrible health condition, usually require you to take prescribed medicine.  Otherwise, the pain would be too terrible to bear throughout the day.

Speaking on illegal drugs, well, they are illegal for a reason.  I believe every individual has his or her own slightly different view on illegal drugs, whether it's marijuana, pills, LSD, cocaine, heroine, etc.  I do not think drugs are good but I can understand how people can find them useful.  For example, marijuana can help uptight individuals relax and de-stress.  Hopefully, the individual who uses, or misuses, a drug realizes the negative effects that may come along with the positive ones.

Overall, I think the public overreacts too much when it comes to the issue of prescription and illegal drugs.  People who need drugs for health reasons should take them.  Even prescription medicines have negative side effects; illegal drugs just usually have worse side effects.  My advice when deciding to take any type of drug: be careful and aware of all possibilities, good and bad, while on the drug.

No comments:

Post a Comment